The United States Navy Memorial at 7th between Pennsylvania Avenue and Indiana Avenue honors those who served or are currently serving in the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and the Merchant Marine. Admiral Arleigh Burke brought a group together in 1977 to being work on a Navy Memorial. Congress authorized the Memorial in 1980, requiring funding come solely from private contributions. By December 1985 enough money had been raised for the Secretary of the Interior to give a go-ahead on construction. The Memorial was dedicated October 13, 1987. From late 1987 to the mid-1990's, two buildings were built on the northern perimeter of the memorial.
The eastern of these was selected to house the Naval Heritage Center. This houses the Arleigh and Roberta Burke Theater, several rotating exhibits about the sea services, Navy Log kiosks for registration on the Naval Log. The Heritage Center opened in June 1991 and was formally dedicated on October 12, 1991.
Detail from raised relief bronze plaque of "The Great White Fleet - 1907" by Sculptor Gilbert A. Franklin, featuring then President Theodore Roosevelt reviewing the Great White Fleet. Note "The Lone Sailor" sculpture by Stanley Bleifeld in the upper left corner of the photo above.